History of the Hall

A Brief History of Brede Village Hall
Brede Village Hall has been at the heart of the village community since 1931, when the original timber hall, with its felted roof, was built. It was jointly managed by the Brede Women’s Institute and the Royal British Legion Brede and Udimore Branch until 1976, when rising maintenance costs led to the creation of a charity to manage the hall. The land was vested with Brede Parish Council, which would act as the Trustees.
The original timber building served the village for over 50 years before being replaced by the present hall in 1986. The new building was funded through a combination of grants and generous fundraising by the village community, reflecting the importance of the hall as a shared village resource. It was officially opened in 1987 by Christine Swan, Assistant Director of the Sussex Rural Community Council. A photograph of the original hall, together with the plaque commemorating the official opening of the present building, can be seen in the hall lobby.
Information complied by XXXX Margaret Sandra.